On Thursday 08 Aug 2002 7:45 pm, Charlie M. wrote:

> I finally got around to burning those disks and installing the beta last
> night/early this morning. So far I'm liking what I see except for the fact
> that:
> 1) the machine wouldn't boot from hda5 (error something like VFS unable to
> load root at 03:05 or some such) after the install so I had to boot from
> the floppy I made;

Write it up and post it to the [cooker] mailing list!

> 2) is there a way to update this thing? I went looking for mirrors to
> download the latest version of urpmi and rpmdrake and none seem to have
> anything except the ISOs. I'm trying to do it manually 'cause Mandrake
> Update doesn't seem to exist and the software manager won't add a source
> either from GUI or using urpmi.addmedia and so on.

Updating is not obvious and, as you'll see later, is problematic because of
the nature of the beta process.

The first thing to do is to type from a root prompt:

edit-urpm-sources.pl

This puts you into a GUI so you don't have to remember the urpmi syntax. I
then press Add (source) and put into the boxes (after selecting 'FTP
server'):

Name:
cooker
Relative path to synthesis/hdlist:
../base/hdlist.cz

Unfortunately there are two big problems every time you do a urpmi
- --auto-select:

i. hdlist.cz is 14MB+ and probably has to be downloaded every time;

ii. because cooker is constantly changing, with RPMs added every day, you're
in for huge downloads; first time I was asked to download 917MB of files!

I fled after ii and am going to keep testing with respect to the baseline; I
strongly suspect that the only people who're keeping fully up to date with
cooker have company or university connections with massive bandwidth.

Alastair
- --
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
http://www.unmetered.org.uk/