On Thursday 08 August 2002 02:44 pm, Alastair Scott wrote:
<random (yeah right!) snips >
> Write it up and post it to the [cooker] mailing list!

I think I figured it out after a long afternoon of reading and re-installing.
I was using XFS for all the partitions except /boot and 9.0beta2 doesn't seem
to like;
a.) a separate boot partition, and;
b.) XFS for /root.
During the re-install I merged /boot and /root, used ext3 and no more "kernel
panic VFS: unable to mount root at 03:05!" and no more stuck boots are
happening.

I've restarted this damned thing more times in the past 48 hours than I have
in the past 4 to 5 months. :-(

> Updating is not obvious and, as you'll see later, is problematic because of
> the nature of the beta process.
>
> The first thing to do is to type from a root prompt:
>
> edit-urpm-sources.pl

Has anyone told you lately that you're a gentleman and a scholar? Allow me to
say so! Thanks, but I just tried it and it isn't working. This is what I got:
added medium cooker
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.disc 1 MandrakeLinux
9.0 beta2 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.disc 2 Mandrake
Linux 9.0 beta 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.disc 3 Mandrake
Linux 9.0 beta 2 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]
retrieving description file of "cooker"...
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "cooker"...
ftp://ftp://newton.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMSwton.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist.cz:

Bad port number.
...retrieving failed:
retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
no hdlist file found for medium "cooker"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.cooker.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "cooker"
write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cf
and just trying to get to the site (browser, ftp program etc.) gets me an
error message:
"The file or directory....(the url) does not exist.

> This puts you into a GUI so you don't have to remember the urpmi syntax. I
> then press Add (source) and put into the boxes (after selecting 'FTP
> server'):
>
> Name:
> cooker
>ub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS Relative
> path to synthesis/hdlist:
> ../base/hdlist.cz
>
> Unfortunately there are two big problems every time you do a urpmi
> - --auto-select:
>
> i. hdlist.cz is 14MB+ and probably has to be downloaded every time;
>
> ii. because cooker is constantly changing, with RPMs added every day,
> you're in for huge downloads; first time I was asked to download 917MB of
> files!

Not a problem here; ceiling is 10 GB/month download and 3 GB/month upload on
this cable connection.

> I fled after ii and am going to keep testing with respect to the baseline;
> I strongly suspect that the only people who're keeping fully up to date
> with cooker have company or university connections with massive bandwidth.

Like myself you mean? :-)

I'll find a way to update the sucker. I like it so far.

> Alastair
> - --
> Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
> http://www.unmetered.org.uk/

Sorry for the long message, I didn't cc: the list 'cause I didn't figure you
needed it twice.

Charlie