I've run into this when I'm logged in as a regular user and have a CD mounted and then
open a terminal window and SU as root and change the CD.  It appears that mtab shows
both the regular user and root CDs.  When it happens, the regular user gets all kinds
of wierd things (i.e. can't eject cdrom because it's in use).  To fix it, while still
as root, I unmount /mnt/cdrom for how ever many occurances are in mtab.

I'd try multiple unmountings before disabling the supermount for a CDROM.

Joe