8/11/02 7:30:27 AM, et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Sunday 11 August 2002 07:58 am, you wrote:
>>    This is way off topic for this group but from what I have seen here I
>> know that I can trust what ever answer I get.
>>     The question I have is will a new Athlon XP mobo fit in the same case
>> and use the same power supply as a old P3 mobo?  I do realise that the
>> power supply should be at least 300 W.  I am trying to upgrade on the
>> cheep.
>>
>>   Thanks in advance
>>     Marc
>most likely. do you have a small case? or is it a "minitower or normal
>desktop?

    It is a normal desktop if memory serves me right it is what is called a mid size
tower. However it is all a moot point now. I went shopping for a mobo and ended
up getting a barebones computer with the XP 1800 processer and 256 MB of
DDR memory with the intension of useing the drives from the old machine. Next
thing I knew my neighbor offered to buy the old machine and I found myself
ordering a new 60 GB hard drive and DVD CD drive. At least I was able to stop
myself before I ordered a GB or 2 of memory.
   Now I am trying to figure out the next problem. I still have a bunch of serial
devices and playing the game of conctantly switching serial cables around and
useing switch boxes is getting kinda old. At one time I remember seeing a card
somewhere to convert a PCI slot into 2 or 4 serial ports. I also remember seeing a
similar device for converting a USB port to 1 or more serial ports.
    Have any of you folks used any of these devices with Mandrake? If so did they
work allright?

    Thanks
    Marc