I just read a post on either newbie or expert about somebody who did not
have hdparm on their Mandrake 8.2 install.  I just went and checked and
I don't have it either.  I made a fairly complete install so I'm
surprised.  (Understand -- it might be on the CDs, but I think I
selected every major "group" of stuff for installation, and IIRC, dug
for a few things (like nedit) that weren't installed "by default".)

Questions:

1. Has hdparm been superceded by something else?  What?

2. Assuming that hdparm has been superceded by something else, do the
"announcements" of new releases of Mandrake typically mention / explain
changes like this?  Where should I look for this kind of information?

Discussion: Although I'm still a newbie, I think there is a core of
programs / utilities that should be installed with every Linux system
(except special purpose or embedded Linuxes, like SNF or similar), and
hdparm sounds like one of those.  If one of those "core" utilities is
moved to someplace from where it is less likely to be installed (or
removed entirely), that should be announced.  I expect to "upgrade" my
Linux boxes occasionally as new versions of a distro (Mandrake) are
released, but I do it by wiping things like /, /usr, etc. off my disk
(preserving things like /home) and then doing a complete reinstall.  I
would like as few surprises as possible, except for the improvements
(but even then, I'd like to know what to expect).

Randy Kramer