On Friday 16 August 2002 11:09 pm, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> anyone willing to explain to me what the following is all about:
>
>       [root@ollin root]# mount -t nfs ellun:/ext/pub /mnt/ellun
>       mount: RPC: Program not registered

<snip>

> Thanks,
>
> Olli

Hi there. Make sure that portmapper is really running. You can, as root, on
your server, do a:

rpcinfo -p

and you should get something like this:

[root@darkforce darklord]# rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  32768  status
    100024    1   tcp  32768  status
    391002    2   tcp  32769  sgi_fam
    100011    1   udp    968  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    968  rquotad
    100011    1   tcp    971  rquotad
    100011    2   tcp    971  rquotad
    100005    1   udp  32770  mountd
    100005    1   tcp  32770  mountd
    100005    2   udp  32770  mountd
    100005    2   tcp  32770  mountd
    100005    3   udp  32770  mountd
    100005    3   tcp  32770  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   udp  32771  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  32771  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  32771  nlockmgr

The important thing here is that nfs, mountd,  and portmapper are included.
Now, you also want to check to see that portmapper is running on your server:

rpcinfo -p 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the ip address of your server is)

You should be able to get the same results.

Check your exports as well, with a "cat /proc/fs/nfs/exports"
Mine shows:

[root@darkforce darklord]# cat /proc/fs/nfs/exports
# Version 1.1
# Path Client(Flags) # IPs
/home/darklord/tmp      darkforce2.com(rw,root_squash,async,wdelay) # 192.168.0.2
/home/darklord/tmp      darkforce3.com(rw,root_squash,async,wdelay) # 192.168.0.3

Also, showmount will help:

[root@darkforce darklord]# showmount -a
All mount points on darkforce.com:
darkforce2.com:/home/darklord/tmp
darkforce3.com:/home/darklord/tmp

I had the greatest help on setting up nfs at this website:

http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/

I very highly recommend it - Good luck!

--
                                                                          /\