On Saturday 17 August 2002 10:54 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a USB CD Burner (Kodak CD-R/RW) but I haven't been able to get it to
> burn and as I understand it Linux (Mandrake 8.1) isn't capable of directly
> talking to such burners it can only talk to SCSI/IDE burners? Is that
> correct? However I think I read somewhere that you can fool Linux so that
> it appears to be a SCSI burner? Is that correct, has someone done it and
> how have they done it? Thanks.
>
> Jon.
a usb burner requires a few usb modules to be loaded, however, if you have it
plugged in when you install a "more recent" version of Mandrake (and really
you should want the most recent, as it always has better hardware support for
newer devices) then it should be found and installed automagically. in 8.1
there were some issues with some USB CDrom burners and "Devfs" (maybe that
was 8.0, heck I don't really remember, but I do have a HP USB burner that was
OK (with the neccassary changes and added configurations) in 7.2, but had
more problems in 8.0 and 8.1 (requiring more configuration than I would
recomned for a "newbie", things like mknod) but 8.2 found it, configured it,
downloaded the changes required for updateing some of the CD recoding
programs that were not correctly added to the DVD b4 pressing or some such
problem (see the errata pages and Linux-Mandrake.com) and burns fine.