On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 05:09:52 +1200, Sharrea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:08, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
> > IBM drives made in the year or so have had major reliability problems. In
> > fact, IBM are trying to get out of the business by selling most (70%) of
> > their hard drive unit to Hitachi. Quantum Bigfoots have had reliability
> > problems as well. I am on my third 12GB Bigfoot TX after the first two
> > died on me. Fortunately, this one seems to be doing very well. The
> > Seagate Barracuda IV is, I believe, a reliable drive. I have 2 80GB
> > models in one machine and I've had no trouble.
>
> Yes, in the last six months I've read many complaints and horror stories
> about IBM drives so it came as no surprise to me when my IBM drive died.
> I've had no problem with my old Quantum tho (touch wood).  I've only had
> the Seagate approx. 4 months and so far so good - jeez its so quiet I keep
> checking the light to see if its doing anything!

Yeah, I do the same for my two Seagate drives. I have them configured into a
RAID0, so every read or write operation is done to both drives at once. Even
with both drives going, I can't hear them over the system fans.

> > What are your hard drive BIOS settings?
>
> Both drives set to Auto Detection in BIOS which shows:
> Seagate (/dev/hda) CHS=28733/16/255   Size=600025 MB
> Quantum (/dev/hdb) CHS=13446/15/63   Size=6506 MB
>
> > Is LBA turned on?
>
> How do you turn LBA on?  I have "lba32" (without the quotes) in lilo.conf if
> thats what you mean.

There should be an LBA option in the BIOS.

> > What you should do is go to the Seagate and IBM Web sites and download
> > their drive diagnostic utilities. They will hopefully be able to analyse
> > the drives and tell you what's wrong.
>
> I went to the Seagate web site but their diagnostic utility only runs in
> Windoze which I'm pleased to say does not exist on this PC.  My 2nd PC will
> have Mandrake and Windoze when my new hard drive arrives - I've just
> ordered an 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV.

The Seagate diagnostic utility downloads as a Windows executable that is used to
make a boot disc. You can make the boot disc on any Windows machine, and it
should work on any system. IIRC, the IBM Feature tool works in the same way.

> > In addition, the IBM Feature Tool
> > can turn off Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) on the Seagate drive,
> > giving you better drive performance (hdparm can do this as well, but I'm
> > not sure if that setting remains after a reboot) .
>
> I'll check that out.  Is the drive still so quiet when AAM is turned off?

My ears can't tell the difference either way.

> Also, may I ask what your model and settings are for your 80GB Seagate
> drives so that I might have some idea when my new one arrives?

According to hdparm:
  model = ST380021A
  CHS = 16383/16/63
  LBA is on

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

" An ordinary frog goes "ribbit, ribbit" and a budfrog goes "bud ,,, Weis...
Er", but a winfrog goes "reboot, reboot, reboot" " -- Civileme