--- John Richard Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip a little off the top>
> I once took the problem up with two harddrive
> manufacturers, as to why
> you get
> two different sizes for the same drive , depending
> upon which machine
> you put it in,
> and indeed why the manufacturers size measurements
> always are greater
> than that
> which your system says there is.
>
> The answer appears to be that indeed there are more
> than one way of
> calculating
> sizes. Apparently , there is no industry wide
> standard, it all depends
> upon the formular
> used to calculate  it. Now this explanation may be
> false , but I have
> noticed different
> machines do calculate the size of a known  hard
> drive slightly
> differently, which tends to
> suggest that this may be true. At any rate , in the
> absense of a better
> explanation
> I have come to accept it.
>
> John

John,

Check out
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html - which
IMHO describes a madness that I hope will never reach
the real world (I mean, really, can you imagine
actually saying "mebibyte" or "gibibyte"???).
However, it does explain one major area of confusion
(and opportunity for deceipt) - namely that for a
drive labelled, say as 20GB, what exactly does the "G"
mean?  In the old (real) world of IT, "G" means 2 **
30.  However, to a manufacturer following SI units,
"G" means 10 ** 9, which is a lot smaller!

Ron.