On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 16:15, Charlie M. wrote:

> People should either whitelist their subscribed mailing list addresses, or
> learn to set the damned things up before inflicting this crap on the rest of
> us. It makes almost as much sense as one of those imbecilic "content"
> footnotes. "If you are not the intended recipient...." yada yada and so
> forth. If it's in my inbox it's because some dipstick _sent the message_ to
> me; so it's the sender's freakin' problem, not mine. The wording of every one
> I've seen strikes me as the product of an individual with severe intellectual
> challenges operating from within an  emotional void with no reality in view.

99 times out of 100 the sender of the email has no way of avoiding the
disclaimer as it is tacked on by a mail server, usually the property of
a company trying to protect its back. (Such as my company; as, for
several months, its disclaimer contained a grammatical error despite
repeated requests to reword it I tried to send as little email from
there as possible!)

That said, 'an individual with severe intellectual challenges operating
from within an emotional void with no reality in view.' sounds like
'lawyer' to me ;)

Alastair