I downloaded the file "flash_linux.tar.gz" from Macromedia's site to the
desktop as su.
Using konqueror at location "file:root/Desktop/" I see the file in the
right panel.
When I click on it the windows displays location
"file:/root/Desktop/flash_linux.tar.gz/" I see a folder in the right
panel "flash_linux" and inside that is are the uncompressed files.
Now, I know this time it ain't no folder. I'm going to guess on this and
please tell me if I'm correct.

Konqueror treats all .tar.gz files this way. There is no "flash_linux"
folder on the hdd.
Konqueror unpackages and displays the files this way so that I can and
should copy them to the locations I want them extracted to.???
Yes? No? Sort of?