On Sunday 25 August 2002 02:33 pm, Mark Berkwitt wrote:
> I downloaded the file "flash_linux.tar.gz" from Macromedia's site to the
> desktop as su.
> Using konqueror at location "file:root/Desktop/" I see the file in the
> right panel.
> When I click on it the windows displays location
> "file:/root/Desktop/flash_linux.tar.gz/" I see a folder in the right
> panel "flash_linux" and inside that is are the uncompressed files.
> Now, I know this time it ain't no folder. I'm going to guess on this and
> please tell me if I'm correct.
>
> Konqueror treats all .tar.gz files this way. There is no "flash_linux"
> folder on the hdd.
> Konqueror unpackages and displays the files this way so that I can and
> should copy them to the locations I want them extracted to.???
> Yes? No? Sort of?
Sort of, you have to unpack the tar ball. You can do it by going to a console
and then changing directories to the one that your download file is in. Say
you saved the file as stated above, in a console you will have to do  "su"
and then give the root password. Then type in cd Desktop and that should get
you  into the correct directory. Then type " tar -xvzf flash_linux.tar.gz"
and it will untar and unzip the files. once that is done type "make" and
after a bunch of script rolls by and a new prompt pops up type " make
install" that will get your flash placed in an accessable file set. HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842