On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:25:18AM +0100, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Todd Slater wrote:
>
> >I combined part of another script I used for image processing into getpix.
> >With the revised getpix script, you can now resize and zip the images
> >after you copy them to your hard drive. This is handy for me because it
> >makes it really easy to get pix into my online gallery.
> >
> >I put the script at http://clevername.homeip.net/getpix if you'd like to
> >give it a spin.
> >
> >Todd
> >

> Todd thank you for this, I'm very interest as you can see.
> I'm a bit busy right now, but I will come back again if I may,
> should I get stuck.
> Also my son inlaw has the Camera right now.
>
> I don't know whether you are into this, but I need some way of reducing
> the size of up to 8 pictures at a time  so that they all go on one A4
> sheet of
> photopaper.
> None of the programmes I've seen so far seem able to do this, and since
> my printer requires A4 , and when I print the pictures off I don't want
> a single
> A4 picture most of the time, it varies sometimes A5, A6, or what ever , but
> the linux progs seem unable to manipulate the size. Well, I must qualify
> that
> remark, progs like gimp can certainly resize, no problem, but I need to
> combine the resized files so that so many fit on one sheet of A4, and send
> the job to my printer. Anyway you get the idea.
> I guess this will all come to gqview and gphoto in due course.
>
> I just though you might have a clever bash script way of doing the job.
>
> John

Just as an experiment, try this and see how it works for you.

Assuming your images have a 3:4 aspect ration, are horizontal, and are at least
200dpi, at the command line in the same directory as the images you want to print, do:

montage -geometry 764+5+5 -background white -density 200x200 -tile 2x4 image1 . . .
image8 composite.jpg

It might be easier to put 8 pictures in a folder and instead of typing
each image name, just do a "*.jpg".

Try printing the composite.jpg, or at least looking at it. I'm not sure
how close to the edge your printer can print, this puts a 5 pixel border
around the images, meaning that adjoining pictures have 10 pixels of
separation.

>From what I can tell, A4 paper is 8.27"x11.69", which at 200dpi is
1654x2338. The resulting composite.jpg is 1548x 2336, which is purty
durn close.

HTH,
Todd

--