On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 03:48, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> OMG! Now after i download the iso files through a FTP, when i try to burn it
> using nero it says: There has been a possible read error during this
> operation which may cause a defective write.  Ive gotten this twice.. Once
> with this download, and once with another What is the problem with
> everything. I cant believe this... Linux doesnt seem to want to install on my
> vcomputer because theres ALWAYS a problem!!! I am getting very frustrated
> with this :(. If anyone knows why im getting a read error please email me
> back :( im never gonna get linux...

This problem is corrupted downloads and is related to downloading not
Linux. Could also be a corrupted image on the mirror, try another
mirror.

NERO is probably complaining that your image is corrupted.

I once burned some copies of Redhat and everything work just until near
the end of the installation (15 minutes later) and it would crap out.

That is when I learned, always verify the checksum.

In the download directory of the ISO images you will see a tiny file
called md5sum. This is a text file with the checksum numbers.

There is a command md5sum <nameOfImage.iso> which will give you the
checksum of the downloaded file. Compare that to the corresponding
number in the text file. If they don't match you image is corrupted and
it will not burn correctly, period.

md5sum programs for Windows
http://www.handhelds.org/z/wiki/md5sum

Gabriel