Andrew Butterworth wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> I have a question regarding the operation of the Software Manager utility.
>
> I have installed Mandrake 8.2 (Download Edition) onto an i686 machine
> without any problems (phew) I then went to update the distribution with the
> latest Security updates.
>
> So I chose Define Sources and added a Security source. Selected Update List
> of mirrors and just selected the first one that appeared (they are all the
> same aren't they? - Just a matter of which one is closest to me??)
>
> The first one happens to be
> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates it then
> displays a dialog saying Adding Source with a little progress bar
> reminiscent of the car in Knight Rider... After about 4-5 minutes I have my
> source added nicely and I click ok.
>
> I then click on Mandrake Update to launch the update wizardly thing. Click
> Next, "Please choose which types of update you want to perform" Only
> security is selected but I want a nice up-to-date system, so I select
> everything.
>
> Please Wait.. Updating the database with sources appears.
>
> Lots of files appear, lots of them have importance "Not Found", why is this?
>

> I select the files in the list and click next, sometimes I get a
> dependencies message, telling me I must install extra stuff. This is fine.
>
> Then the fetching of files begins... What I find strange is that even though
> the files being downloaded change next to the "Fetching: " label, I get no
> graphical progress indication until ALL the files are downloaded??
>
> Also, I sometimes get "An error occurred while fetching file" and then the
> filename.
>
> Where do I go to find out what the error was? Or at least get some hints at
> how to fix it??? My only option is to skip the file.
>
> I would like to get into the source and try to fix the problems myself, how
> do I go about doing this? I think I have the programming ability but I am
> unsure how to do this contribute to tools that are part of a given
> distribution. Also I am not sure if these are problems or whether it is
> meant to operate this way and I just need to understand what is going on
> more.
>
> I hope someone can answer my questions,
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Andrew Butterworth

Andrew,

For the files that didn't download and install you can do the update
from the command line if you wish with this command:

        urpmi --update <packagename>

If you want to check for log entries regarding your system update you
can check in /var/log/messages. below is an excerpt from my logfile that
shows a successful download and install of a package using urpmi from
the command line:

Aug 30 07:02:50 mdw1982 rpm: [RPM] xinetd-2.3.7-1.1mdk installed
Aug 30 07:02:58 mdw1982 rpm: [RPM] xinetd-2.3.4-4mdk removed

If you want to quickly search this file you can do it this way, and you
will want to search for grpmi, urpmi and rpm. where ever these occur in
the file /var/log/messages:

grep grpmi /var/log/messages
grep rpm /var/log/messages
grep urpmi /var/log/messages

If you like you can easily write this information to a file thusly.

        grep <search-parameter> /var/log/messages >> somefilename

Mark