Hi,

I have done somthing to my set up and don't know how to fix it, (otherwise
this email is a bit pointless :-) )

I hope someone can help.

I think that I have pinned it down to kde_greet not starting on boot, I have
compared two machines installed the same way and this is the process that is
missing.

I have checked /etc/inittab and that is set to run-leve5 and that it has the
right incantation for starting x ie.

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

In fact the /etc/inittab on each machine is identical.

startx works AFTER I have logged in, the bit that is missing from the startup
process, is the intial login screen to X, where the user chooes which window
manager they want to use etc....

Clearly /usr/bin/kdm_greet is run as part of the kde start up as I get the
error message

This program is part of kdm and should not be run manually. But where the
call to this program is located I cannot find.

Can someone help please ?

All help appriciated.

--
Stephen Kitchener

"The best way to accelerate a Win9x machine is at 9.81m/s2."