Hi all,

I was given a new computer at work and they allowed me to put linux on
it (they don't care what i use as long as the work gets done). They were
even nice enough to get starsuite for me. :-) (The computer guy said
that starsuite is selling like crazy - one of the most popular programs
at the moment.)

Anyhow, I put mandrake 8.2 on it and it works fine except for one or two
things. The major problem is that the keyboard repeat rate is totally
f**ked up. Typing quickly (normal speed for someone used to typing)
causes a large number or double or triple letters, like `mman kbbdrate'.

It does not seem to be affected by changing kbdrate or by changing the
settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Changing those settings works for the
regular repeat, but does nothing to prevent the annoying semi-random
repeats. I found something on google about commenting out some code in
some file in (from memory, I am not at work nor on the net as I write
this) /usr/src/?/arch/i386/??. Anyhow, I commented out the relevant
section in whatever file that was, but the keyboard still repeats. Does
that file (whose name I cannot remember) affect anything, or would I
have to recompile the kernel or something first?

Any ideas? Could it be a hardware problem? I have found that it is less
likely to happen if I pound the keys (imaging typing on an old,
non-electric typewriter). Needless to say, that solution is almost as
bad as the problem.

tia

--
Chris Spackman

gpg: 9B6B 860E 7C06 787F 366F 5D3E 7152 DCB2 FC51 51B9