On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 07:49, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just moved into a new place & wasn't able to get DSL. So, I got cable access via
>Comcast. It seems that setting up a LAN is a major headache. My roomate and I have
>been doing research on this problem & it seems we aren't the only ones who have
>trouble setting up a LAN using a Comcast connection. I've had a friend over who's got
>more experience with Linux than I do & tried to config a router, but it was using
>Debian & not Mandrake, which is what I prefer to use. So, does anyone have any input
>on setting up a Linux router using Mandrake 8.0? The "cable modem" has an Ethernet
>cable that runs into the computer, which "must be a Windows or Mac" :( From there the
>DHCP assigns only one IP address that changes every few weeks.
>
> These are some steps that a Windows user went through with the same ISP I'm using. I
>guess they *really* don't want people setting up LANs.:
>
> 1. currnetly use a Linksys BEFSRV41 4 port Etherfast cable.dsl router. This router
>worked fine with three computers using the router to connect to Comcast until Comcast
>swithced from @HOME to comcast.net
>
> 2. Comcast will not offer support for "networks" in your house. They will help you
>get on PC connected but will not address the multiple pc question
>
> 3. I updated the firmware for the Linksys to the most current version - no help.
>
> 4. I tried two other brands of router and the same problem
>
> 5. tried new cables for all connections - same problem
>
> 6. tried to power cycle the modem / router / and pc's in every possible combination
>- same problem
>
> 7. tried connecting the router to the WAN connection - did not work at all
>
> 8. tried changing the name and workgroup of each pc to the same name and then
>different name - changed workgroup for @home to workgroup - same problem
>
> 9. tried manually inputing the ip address and subnet on other two pc's after first
>on connected to Comcast - error message that address was already in use
>

> Any tips, tricks, pointers, heads-up, and/or websites would be most welcome to get a
>Linux router up and running.
>
> Thanks
> Aaron Holiday
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Aaron,

I am not familiar with Comcast, but here are a few ideas that may get
you there:

1. When the Comcast service is activated from Windows, does it require a
username/password to activate?  Some cable providers don't "switch on
the connection" until you are authenticated in this way.  If this is the
case, you will need some application to log you on under linux (on the
router machine).  There probably is one, but Google is your friend
there.

2. Assuming that item 1 is handled or not required, you will find that
the cable service allocates only one IP address, so any LAN connected
machines need to run with local addresses.  To implement this, you need
two ethernet cards in your router.  The one connected to your LAN gets a
local address - usually 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0  The one connected to
the cable modem gets its address via DHCP.  Then turn on IP forwarding
and use squid on the router to proxy the connection.  That way, the
cable network sees a single client, but your LAN has access from all
machines.

Just come back with specific questions if any of this is in a foreign
language.

HTH
Brian