> > tell me about it.  i have a portable cdplayer that will read mp3's
> > burned to disc and play them.  it is pretty nice, espec. for the price,
> > but i would give anything for it to support OGG.  _very_ nice.
>
> It's something about floating-point integer. OGG requires a player with
> it, which apparently costs money (hardware issue?), and mp3 doesn't. At
> least that's what I think I read once on the ogg-vorbis list once when I
> was researching it. I was interested in setting up a home audio network,
> but the only players I could find were mp3.

Right, this used to be the case but now xiph.org has released their fixed
point decoder: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html. It'll be
interesting to see if this changes the situation at all. It'd be great if it
did. I know I'd go out and buy a replacement for my RIO mp3-cd player...

cheers,
::mark