et wrote:

>On Thursday 12 September 2002 09:28 am, you wrote:
>
>>et wrote:

>>>my (cheep as hell, $38.00 US, 2 years ago) USB Acer 320 rns with only a
>>>couple of modifactions to the *.conf file, changing "# /dev/usbscanner"
>>>to "/dev/usb/scanner" and adding an "absolute path" to the binary that
>>>came with the scanner. this makes X-sane work anyway.

>>>Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
>>>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>>>
>>Thanks for the input. I understand that mine will probably work with the
>>niash patch.
>>
>>However, if you got yours to work with some configurations that sounds
>>like something I would like to try. I did change the name of my scanner
>>in the conf. file but how and where do you put the absolute path the the
>>binary that came with the scanner. I am not sure what you mean here as
>>far as the binary that came with the scanner. Could you explain all of
>>this in detail. I am quite the newbie with things like this. Thanks alot
>>for your help.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Marcia
>>
>I am not saying that it will get _YOURS_ running, it was what I had to do for
>mine. I got this info about MY  USB scanner off of a search about USB
>Configuring The Acer scanners on Mandrakeuser.org some time ago (like when
>8.2 was a month old) here is the main part of what it said;
>
>ScannerDrake detects the scanner correctly and says : "congratulation, your
>scanner is configured successfully" or something like that.
> But the scanner isn't working. Why? Most likely you have failed to install
>the correct firmware file and the path to that file to
>/etc/sane(.d)/snapscan.conf (replacing the old
>'/the/path/to/your/firmware/file').
>
> This firmware file is located in the windows driver package. Currently it's
>a .zip file, extract it and locate the firmware file in directory called
>*.bin or *.so, the firmware file for the Acer 620u/640u is called
>'u64v119.bin' or 'u64v120.bin'.
>
> hope this will help somebody.
>I DON"T know and don't believe that an HP scanner would be detected the same.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Thank you very much for your help. I will try something like this,
however, I do not think it will work only because I believe your scanner
is supported and mine is not. I think my best recourse here is to apply
the niash patch to the sane source package. I am a complete newbie with
this sort of thing so doyou or anyone have any suggestions how I to
apply a patch to a source file?  Any help here will be greatly
appreciated. When I get this going I will let all of you know how
exactly I did it.

Thank you,

Marcia