I'm wrasslin' with my thinnet ethernet setup. I have a 16 bit ISA
ethernet card with BNC (thinnet) connector that worked great on my
old Novell setup. Well, actually I have two identical ones, but more on
that in a minute.

They are pretty standard NE2000 cards, with a dp8390-1A chip. I've
set the jumpers (they are old cards, not PnP) to io=0300 and irq=3.

I've disabled the motherboard's ethernet port in BIOS.

I've edited module.config to read

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=3

and remarked out the motherboard's eth0 line

During boot there are no error messages, and dmesg shows that the
card is seen during boot and the ne module is loading with the correct
io and irq.

Typing cat /proc/interrupts shows IRQ3 for eth0 However, there's a 0
in the second column of that list, if that means anything?

Typing cat/proc/ioports shows eth0 at 0300, as it should be.

ping 127.0.0.1 works fine, as does ping 195.168.0.1. the address I've
assigned.

But ping from 195.168.0.1 to a workstation on the network
(195.168.0.2) and it fails to get through. Nor does a ping to
195.168.0.1 from 195.168.0.2 get a response.

Note, this is a thinnet installation, like beads on a string, like so:

WindersWksta1-------LinuxBox----------Winderswksta2

Using, of course, the usual T connectors and coax for the
connections, properly terminated at each end. The same wiring and
connectors have worked fine for years between the WindersWkstas
running NT and a Novell Netware server where LinuxBox is now, and
after the server died as a Windows network between them.

WindersWksta1 can ping WindersWksta2 just fine, and vice versa, so
I don't think it can be a cable problem. I've swapped the T connector
to the NIC with another one, also tried both cards, using the same IO
and IRQ settings to further check for hardware problems with
connector or card, but the results are the same.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dennis Fowler