Do you mean NIS (Name Information Server) or NFS (Network File System)

if NIS, then sorry I do not know, never used it.

If you mean NFS, then yes. NFS can be a pain if shares are mounted when you
shut down. You have to unmount the share before shutting down. 8.2 is better
than 8.1 was, in that if you wait long enough it will time out and shutdown
anyway.

I find the best solution is to set 'noauto' in the /etc/fstab file for the NFS
shares and mount them explicitly when I need them.

As for your Samba issue. There is an additional RPM for Winbind. Did you
install it?
You should have been able to define Rangers site as a urpmi source. Did you
get an error when you typed

urpmi.addmedia --update Ranger-8.2
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake8.2 with hdlist.cz

in a root terminal?  (that is all one line)

then to install samba with winbind all you have to do is type

urpmi samba-server samba-client samba-winbind

Any dependencies will be found and installed automatically.
(I do not use winbind myself)

HTH

derek