On Thursday 19 September 2002 11:21 am, mudder wrote:
> On Thursday 19 September 2002 10:49 am, iggy wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 September 2002 10:10 am, mudder wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > Has anyone had trouble creating a boot disk?
> > >
> > > I've been playing around with this since the first beta, and have
> > > had problems with the boot floppy.From the first beta through RC2
> > > I would get something like the following
> > >

> > > Boot:

> > > boot failed: Please change disks and press a key to continue
> > >

> > > I just loaded RC3 this morning and it is telling me that the boot
> > > floppy is not a bootable disk.
> > >

> > > Anyone have any advice?
> > >
> > > I have installed Elx Linux, Lycoris Desktop LX, and Mandrake 8.2
> > > and have not had this problem.
> > >
> > > The floppy drive is a Epson SD-800 3-1/2" & 5-1/4" combination drive.
> > >

> > > Any help would be appreciated
> >
> > Epson SD-800 3-1/2" & 5-1/4" combination drive?  shame on you ;^)  did
> > you try the simple things first?  disk drives fail, diskettes go bad,
> > etc. have you tried replacing the diskette?  replacing the drive? by the
> > way, you didn't try to make a 5-1/4 the boot disk?  there may not be
> > enough room on one of those for all the info.
> >
> > good luck.
> >
> > -iggy
> > ps, assuming hardware failure first. btw, were you able to create a boot
> > disk whene you first installed rc3?
>
> Shame on me??
> I need the 5-1/4" drive because I program some older types of
> gearcutting machines that use old computers and 5-1/4" 360k floppy disks.
> (yea, I'm old. But not too old to learn something new.)
>

> I have installed  Elx Linux, Lycoris Desktop LX, and Mandrake 8.2 all in
> the last few days and I was using brand new disks.
>
> I was able to write a disk when I installed rc3 and in a terminal window I
> can see that it has these files on it.
>
> boot.msg   initrd.img   syslinux.cfg   and vmlinuz
>
> and it tells me that it is not bootable?
>
> I am able to format disks inside of linux, write text files and read them
> on other machines in both drives. And I had just installed mandrake 8.2
> last night and all was well.  I'm going out to buy a floppy drive  later on
> today, buy I have a hard time believing that the drive is bad given
> all of the conditions that I see here.
>
> Thanks for replying so fast.
before buying a new drive, as a test, i'd fill the drive w/ one large text
file and then verify that the contents of the drive.  i'f the drive was
failing, then the file inards would be screwed.  if the text was fine then no
need to replace the drive and the problems are elsewhere...  i'll help by
checking the mail list archives for similar problems (if any) at
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/flists.php3
and mandrake forum at http://www.mandrakeforum.org/.  i'm new to linux but
(relatively) old to hardware (10+ years).
-iggy