On Thursday September 19 2002 09:10 am, mudder wrote:
> Has anyone had trouble creating a boot disk?
> I've been playing around with this since the first beta, and have
> had problems with the boot floppy.From the first beta through RC2
> I would get something like the following
> Boot:
> boot failed: Please change disks and press a key to continue
> I just loaded RC3 this morning and it is telling me that the boot
> floppy is not a bootable disk.
> Anyone have any advice?
> I have installed Elx Linux, Lycoris Desktop LX, and Mandrake 8.2
> and have not had this problem.
> The floppy drive is a Epson SD-800 3-1/2" & 5-1/4" combination drive.
> Any help would be appreciated

   Make sure you have a good floppy.  EG, Try a full format on it.
If that's ok, then su to root in a terminal and type,

   mkbootdisk $(uname -r)     Put a floppy in and hit <Enter>. It should
complete without error and return you to a prompt when done. Then try
again to see if that floppy will boot.

   There's been some complaints on the cooker list of bootdisk problems
with the betas/RCs (I haven't had any), you might wanna search the ML
archive   http://www.mandrake.com/en/archives/cooker/

    Other than what you might find there, the only problem I'm aware of
is making a boot disk when you use XFS as your file system. The image
can be too big for a 1.44 floppy. Then you'll havt'a use your CD1 as
there is no fix. Also, if you compiled your own kernel and let it get
too big, it might not fit on a floppy either.