Hi,

I tried to set up a cronjob without using /etc/cron.d and the like. But I
just don't get some things. Why can't I start xmms? Why doesn't printf "\a"
work?

I did this:
cd ~
touch somefile
crontab somefile
crontab -e

this is my crontab:
* * * * * /bin/bash /home/pm/bin/showMe

this is the script (/home/pm/bin/showMe) it starts:
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/pm/tmp
# just to test if it works at all:
touch `date +%Y-%m-%e__%k.%M.%S`
# this does not work:
xmms &

crontab -l shows my line, every minute it dutifully starts my script and I
get a file every minute in ~/tmp so it works! At least until the "xmms &"
line because xmms never shows up. When I start the script manually in the
shell it works fine.

"at" fails me too...

Is it the Xserver? Does crond run as a different user? The files that were
generated every minute have the same user and group as I have...

It must be something so obvious that it isn't mentioned anywhere. But I just
don't get it...

Patrik