I'd disagree witht that..

NTFS is FAR better a filesystem then Fat32.. and much more secure...

Its just not writable to linux... (yet)

So, the solution is simple..

1. NTFS XP partition.
2. Linux Swap.
3. Linux main (or split that up more.)
4. Fat32 partition.. big enough to store all docs and such that you want access to in both win and lin.

that way you get the best of all worlds...

I have done it this way on all my installs...

As an added speedup, get a 10 gig ATA100 or 133 drive, and make 2 partitions on it, about 300 MB each.. format one of them as linux swap and the other as FAT 32.

then in XP set your swapfile onto the fat partition and the linux should use the swap partition on this one..

that way if you need swap in either enviroment, its not trying to use the same drive as its reading from...

that tip will work even better in SCSI or the forthcomming Serial ATA setup... but it does help even with normal IDE.

the rest of that drive you could partition as you will...

by having XP's swap in its own partition, you get extra speed and far less fragmentation of the swap file. (usually called pagefile.sys)

rgds

Frank