-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [newbie] File conversion
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:34:53 +0100
From: John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Todd Slater wrote:

>>John Richard Smith saith:
>>

>>>For reasons I need not go into, I transfer *.JPG files across from
>>>Windblows to Mandrake and work on them in gimp,and
>>>when I'm finished I have a montage of prints I wish to assemble
>>>as a composite.
>>>
>>>I've hit a snag.
>>>
>>>Winblows names it's files in higher case.
>>>Montage(the programme, part of image magic) seems only willing
>>>to work with lowercase named files. There are too many to manually
>>>retype.
>>>
>>>How can I convert windblows named *.JPG files to *.jpg named
>>>files on the command line ?
>>>
>>>John
>>>

>John,
>
>montage will work with names with caps. If you are doing a directory, just
>use *.JPG instead of *.jpg.
>
>Todd

Todd, You know what it was, it was too damned obvious.
John

But upon further consideration, and bearing in mind that
I will often want to mix and match file images from differing
sources it is best to convert all my source image files
to the same file format for ease of processing because
when it comes to it, the command line is going to get awfully
complicated if I have to start allowing for more than one
file format. So upon further consideration  it is best
while my current camera, epsilon1.3( a cheapie I can afford to
drop and break if necessary) is not supported in linux, even
as a mass storage device, and I must resort to copying across
from W2K, to get things organised by converting everything
there and then to a single(lowercase ) standard.

So currently

cd direcory sources,in a shell, and this works,
for i in *
do
mv "$i" "`echo "$i" | tr A-Z a-z`"
done

but ,
$ for i in *; do mv "$i" "`echo "$i" | tr A-Z a-z`"; done
does not , it doesn't like the "do" bit in one line.

I haven't yet tried the perl bash script, would be nice to get that
to work.
John

--
John Richard Smith