On Monday 23 September 2002 9:05 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> Greetings.......this newbie has just installed his first kernel!
> YESSSSSSSSSSS!  8-)
>
> Thanks to those who gave me help and encouragement. Thanks Charlie, et. al.
>
> I am having fun on my 2.4.18.8.1, but the only 'prob' I seem to have
> encountered is the kernel-sources package that I tried to install at the
> same time as the kernel don't seem to want to install. I don't get any
> errors when I try to install, just no install.
>
> I am wondering also why the kernel-sources package that Software Manager
> shows for the 2.4.18.8.1 kernel is 137.91megs, but when I go to
> ftp.sunet.se (which is my update mirror) it shows the package as only
> 33.57megs. What gives here?? I dld'd and tried to install the smaller of
> the two. ;-)
>
> Can anyone explain this to me and help me get my kernel-sources? I really
> wanted to get the sources so I can rebuild rpm's from src.
>
> Many TIA's.
>

> --Angus
Wasn't that fun? :-)

Have a look in /usr/src and see what's in there. Two easy ways to do this; the
quick browser from the "K" menu (if you use KDE) will display if there's any
directories at that location or you can do ls /usr/src <enter> in a terminal.
It's where the source should have gone on install. If it's not there someone
can almost certainly help you figure out why the devil not.

BTW I just checked and the kernel-source-2.4.18-8.1 rpm in the update
directory at sunet shows as 32.8 MB when I check it. I also looked through
the SRPMS and the RPMS directories and I can't find anything bigger than that
for an 8.2 kernel. In other words I haven't a flippin' clue why it shows as
the size shown unless the software manager is reading the size of a
decompressed file maybe. Anything is possible I suppose. The 137 MB sounds
about right for the package to be honest, so since you didn't have source
installed before let the software manager deal. There's nothing installed to
break, is there?

I told you I was a gnubie, didn't I? ;-)
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada