I prefer to find everything on the entire install that I want to keep,
including home, any config stuff and whatever else.. and put the lot in its
own directory... (say /backup)

Then tar that directory up...:

tar -zcvvf backup.tar.gz /backup

and make yourself a nice compressed tar of everything you need...

then copy that somewhere else.. (off that system or a protected partition)
and reinstall, then uncompress the tar after you have your old user accounts
setup again..

that why file ownership doesn't become an issue.. (since tar files preserve
file permissions.)
Its also a small need way of keeping backup copy of that stuff without
wasting space.

just my theory....

rgds

Frank