On Tuesday 24 September 2002 09:37 pm, you wrote:

> I prefer to find everything on the entire install that I want to keep,
> including home, any config stuff and whatever else.. and put the lot in its
> own directory... (say /backup)
>
> Then tar that directory up...:
>
> tar -zcvvf backup.tar.gz /backup
>
> and make yourself a nice compressed tar of everything you need...
>
> then copy that somewhere else.. (off that system or a protected partition)
> and reinstall, then uncompress the tar after you have your old user
> accounts setup again..
>
> that why file ownership doesn't become an issue.. (since tar files preserve
> file permissions.)

> Frank

Thanks Frank. I've actually installed 8.2 twice now. The second install was
after I figured out how to resize my WinXP partiton. I took everything in
/home and burned it on a CD, did a fresh install, then replaced eveything in
/home with the files on the CD. I can't remember if I did this as root or
maybe it was the CD files became "read only" but it was a heck of a mess. I
couldn't delete mail in Kmail, configure any settings (the old ones just
returned I guess because the files were read only). Half were owned by me and
half were owned by root. I did a lot of reading up on chown and chmod before
I got it fixed! I'll take your tarball method as a better option.

> The conventional advice is to keep /home, and reformat/rewrite the others.
> You may end up with some extraneous stuff (but then you're the guy with two
> 40 gb drives, too), and some settings might need tweaking, but nothing
> horrendous should occur. You will lose any apps that you've added since the
> 8.2 install, but that may not be a bad thing, since dependencies and file
> locations have been known to change from version to version.

Yes Carroll, this is what I'm afraid of. With so little time invested I have
very little to loose. I want to avoid having bits and pieces of two versions
of Mdk on here. I think the only file I installed that wasn't part of 8.2 to
begin with was Everybuddy (the one with Mdk8.2 wouldn't log on to Yahoo chat
for me). I may just save some stuff from my /home directory and start with
all new.

> While you're at it, consider adding a partition that can be used as a
> storage
> space (mine's called /archives). You can copy your old /home there, do a
> completely fresh install, and then just bring back the stuff that's worth

This is a good idea if I understand you. If I create an /archive partition,
copy anything worth saving there, then during a fresh install /archive is
left untouched when I define my usual partitions/mount points during a new
install? I guess I would have to mount that partition from a terminal window
to copy from it after the install? Thanks all....