From: robin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 5:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] backup system

Schwenk, Jeanie wrote:

>Is there a recommended backup system for mandrake?  We use legato on all
our
>other operating systems here but I was just informed by our sysadmin that
>linux-mandrake is not supported.   I need a backup system because my linux
>machine is now utilized by everyone in our department and the database is
>growing.  Can't afford to lose this data.
>
>Jeanie

Depends on what your backup needs are.  If they're extensive, run a
search on any Linux software site for solutions; if they're simple, just
write a little script to do the job using tar.  The simplest would just
be to tar and zip all home directories, then ftp to another computer or
move to a backup device such as a zip drive.  The following, for
example, would back up all home directories to another machine (assuming
you have ncftp installed, which I wholeheartedly recommend - it's far
and away my favourite ftp client).

tar  zcf  - /home  |  ncftpput  -c  -X /home/me/junk
anotherbox.mycompany.com /home/me/backup.tar.gz

In this case /home/me/junk is a file listing the types of file that you
don't want included (you probably don't want to back up everybody's
Netscape cache, for example).  See man ncftpput for details.

Sir Robin

>This is Linux country.  On a quiet night, you can hear NT re-boot.

LOL

--
"Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans.
It's lovely to be silly at the right moment" - Horace

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara 06533