On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> I am installing Linux-Mandrake 6.0 on a Cyrix P166+ machine with 32mb of
> RAM.

Ok...barely adequate, but adequate. I'd go at least 64 MB RAM, if I
were you. :-)

> I have an STB Velocity 3D PCI (4mb) video card and a
Princeton Ultra 17+ > monitor and can not, for the life of me, get
things configured so that I > can run KDE. I have attempted letting
the install program probe things > and this has gone better than in
the past. It probes without crashing > but it always reports that
there is a problem setting things up and > cannot start X.

Have you tried using the setup utils? They're there for a reason. :-)
> So I have been trying to do the XF86Config file on my own (reading from
> _Running Linux_) but it would seem that I am not smart enough. Ugh!

I expect that's probably the reason there.. ^^^^^^^^^^ :-)
Try running XF86Setup and see if that doesn't help. Your video card
*is* supported by Linux, according to xfree86.org. See if using
XF86Setup doesn't help...if that doesn't do it, try running
xf86config, which gives you a bit more control over the settings.
        John