Two ways, either edit your ~/.bash_profile (for an individual user), or your
/etc/profile (for system wide) to include the path to the java executable in your PATH
statement

for example
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/lib/jre-1.4.0_01/bin

Next time you open a shell the path will be found.

The other way is to create a symlink in your /usr/bin directory like this
ln -s /usr/lib/jre-1.4.0_01/bin /usr/bin/java

HTH

derek