On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 08:30, Stefano Pogliani wrote:
> I created a file called java.sh in /etc/profile.d/ which contains the
> following lines:
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_01
> export JAVA_HOME
> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
> export PATH

I decided that I would try to do this using the alternatives system
(which Mandrake already uses for Java).
This is what I came up with (using j2re1.4.0 from SUN).

(as root)...
- copy j2re1.4.0 directory to /usr/lib
- run (one line):
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
        /usr/lib/j2re1.4.0/bin/java 40

Now, Java 1.4.0 is the preferred alternative and I am keeping within the
/etc/alternatives system.

Perhaps Mandrake could look at providing a GUI for managing
/etc/alternatives for 9.1?

btw, if anyone can see a problem with this approach, please let me know.
I've only just set it up, so haven't had a chance to test thoroughly.

Regards,

John.