On Friday 27 September 2002 12:55 pm, you wrote:
> I am running Mandrake 7.2, but would like to upgrade to 8.2, which I
> presume should be better. However when I tried to do an upgrade, I lost all
> my Wine settings. I need to run Wine, so I can use a couple of Windows
> applications, which  do not appear to yet have Linux equivalents. They are
> Quicken and Agent.
ohh please, pan wipes agent out the door, just get the latest version, and
don't get 8.2, get 9.0, and Gnucash may not be better than Quicken, but no
reason not to think it is just as good for almost every usage. Heck the Apps
I don't see for linux are the US income tax prep and send and you can use the
"online" html versions of those

> It appears that Wine now stores its config files in a different location
> and uses a different syntax. Is this correct, or can I still use my old
> configure file.
>
> I also lost read/write access to my windows partition except when logged on
> as root. There did not appear to be an easy way of changing permissions,
> but perhaps I could not find it. I tried editing my fstab file but then go
> errors on boot up. Again can I preserve my present fstab file, or is there
> an easy way of giving users full access to my windows partition.
keep (move) the current fstab as fstab-old so you can look back and see the
changes and edit the new file the way you want, I like to have only root able
to write to the fat partition, it makes sure nothing from an e-mail ever gets
to screw with the fat partition. use the superuser mode to write to fat, any
one can read from it. just my way.