On Friday September 27 2002 02:46 pm, Ricardo Castanho de Oliveira
Freitas wrote:
> Em Sex 27 Set 2002 10:46, Tom Brinkman escreveu:
> > On Friday September 27 2002 01:15 am, Ricardo Castanho de Oliveira
> > Freitas wrote:
>
> Shame on me! ;-(
>
> I was on the track, **except** for the last command => make install
> !!!

    'make install' doesn't really do all it's stuff unless you also

o  edit Makefile and change  EXTRAVERSION = <this part>, and
uncomment the line       export  INSTALL_PATH=/boot

   That one little edit(s) makes sure all the proper files, and links
are placed in /boot, even edits/runs lilo and makes the changes happen.
Hard to screw up ;>    Altho I didn't really hi-lite it, the 'make
mrproper' first step I listed _is mandatory_.

> after all the steps, there was a msg complaining that I didn't have a
> 'regular' Mandrake kernel!?!? (or sth like that!)
>
> I have the 2.4.18-8.2mdk working! and NVidia's compiled with it!

   I have no idea what's meant by that "'regular' Mandrake kernel"
message complaint. BUT it's a good idea to compile a sacrifice kernel
to taint with closed source proprietary crap like nVidia provides.
IOW's compile a pure 'k7' kernel, and then repeat usin EXTRAVERSION =
to make an identical 'k7nvidia' kernel. Only apply the nVidia closed
source taints to the latter.  There's no tell'n what their binaries do
to an otherwise good kernel.  A recent Mandrake developer reported that
extensive testing with nVidia tainted kernels showed they can even
cause file system corruption  ...  among all the other untraceable
problems.

> The 'stock' is 2.4.18-8.1mdk!
>
> Where can I download mdk kernel ?

   Try the latest, kernel-source-2.4.19-16mdk (~36MB) from any mirror
   http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/cookerdevel.php3

   (They're pretty busy right now with 9.0 d/l's tho ;)