On Friday September 27 2002 05:35 pm, Michael Notforyou wrote:
> What does make mrproper do? I've always done make menuconfig, make
> dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install,

   It's been the case for some time now, actually quite a while. Since I
don't understand all the implications myself, search the cooker archive
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&r=1&w=2
for 'mrproper' and form your own take on it.  All I know for sure is
it's been quite a while now that a kernel compile from source will most
likely fail without _first_ preening the source with 'make mrproper'

   It'll also remove some stuff like config, which is why I always make
a bakup to edit (eg, 'k7config') and copy it back in after the 'make
mrproper'.

> then do lilo stuff.

   As I posted, the usual "then do lilo stuff."  is eliminated by
enabling install to /boot (also eliminates user errors in doin so), eg

 o  edit Makefile and change  EXTRAVERSION = <this part>, and
uncomment the line       export  INSTALL_PATH=/boot