Hello,

I recently installed Mandrake-Linux 6.0.  It installed fine and I was
[foolishly] playing with the
themes for KDE running as root [wasn't thinking on that one].  I was
switching through themes when suddenly my desktop blanked out and
locked.  I was able to shutdown and bring the machine back up, however
whenever I logged back on to KDE, the desktop would appear, but as soon
as I tried to open up any window [say open a terminal window], the
screen would freeze again.  I thought that maybe my desktop was to
blame, so I removed the Desktop directory from root's home
directory...since then I am unable to run KDE at all.  Whenever I try to
log back in to the KDE GUI as root, the screen blanks out and just sits
there.  I tried the same thing as a local user and after switching
through a few themes, reproduced the same problem.  However, when I try
to log in to a KDE desktop as a local user, the login process starts
then I am kicked back to a the main login screen.

Has anyone seen a similar occurrence with Mandrake 6.0?

I tried to verify all of the KDE RPMs using GnoRPM utility from
GNOME [which doesn't seem to have this
problem], but I couldn't see any obvious problems [I just went through
and verified all of the rpms].

James Richards