> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:43:02 +0500 "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi there all,
> >
> > Could anyone tell me what is on the xtra 4 cd's that comprise the powerpack
>edition, as compared to the standard or download editions...besides StarOffice 6?
> >
> > I don't need to know every package, but what is the bulk of the cd's taken up
>with? Is it things that a newbie like me would have need of?
> >
> > I can't decide if I need the 7 cd version or the standard.
> > I'm on a dialup, so if the xtra cd's will provide packages that I may use, it
>would be worth the $'s to get them on cd, rather than enduring long downloads.
> >
> > Also, is the user manual in the powerpack the same as what is provided in the
>installed documentation from Mdk?
> >
> > Help please. TIA.
>
> I think you're asking about things which haven't yet been decided :)
>
> But I'd imagine:
>
> - the user manuals are essentially bound copies of the PDFs provided;
>
> - the extra CDs contain a combination of
>
> a snapshot of contribs (GPL packages constructed and contributed by the
> various Mandrake packagers "in their spare time" - definitely worth getting
> as there's a huge variety of stuff being built up);
>
> non-GPL, non-legally-dodgy freely distributable or specially licenced
> packages like Acrobat Reader, Flash, RealAudio, SO6, the various Java
> environments, drivers and so on (again very useful);
>
> commercial demos, currently available to Mandrake Club members (less useful,
> but you never know);
>
> other things up the Mandrake sleeve (TBD).
>
> Alastair
Thanks so much Alastair,
I do realise some of my questions were decidedly open-ended ;-)

Thanks for your decidedly succinct reply :-)

I think I will order the powerpack edition now.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

Reg. Linux User #278931
Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/