On Sunday 29 Sep 2002 10:06 pm, shane wrote:

> On Sunday 29 September 2002 2:10 am, fifner the dragon did speak unto the
>
> huddled masses, saying:
> > > you don't need to have the samba server running, but you do need the
> > > samba client stuff..
> > >
> > > then just install komba2 and off you go.
> >
> > could someone please tell me how to install komba2 in mandrake9? I used
> > to use the software manager in mandrake8.2 but it seems to be replaced by
> > something else in release9. (Sorry for a stupid question, but I AM very
> > much a newbie)
>
> komba2 does not seem to be included in the 9.0 package, but you can get the
> beta for 9.0 at
> http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0/contrib/RPMS/komba2-0.
>73-0.beta1.9mdk.i586.html
>
> or maybe it is included for everyone but me.....
>
> also if you use KDE, be sure software manager is your first choice.  look
> in configuration > KDE > file browsing > file assoc.  look under
> applications for x-rpm.  click on it and under application prteference
> order move software installer to the top.  i have no idea why it doesn't
> start there.....

Unlike 8.2, Mandrake 9.0 seems to have shipped without the 'Contribs' on CD3.

There are a lot of really nice applications in Contribs (like Kooka2) which
are really worth having.

You can get access to all the contribs applications simply by typing

urpmi.addmedia contribs
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/contrib/RPMS
with ./synthesis.hdlist2.cz
(or some other mirror)
(this command is all one line)

in a root terminal. You will then have access to all the Contribs in Mandrake
Software Manager.

Periodically run
uprmi.update contribs to make sure your database matches the remote directory.
At the moment the synthesis list is a little out of date in contribs so you
may have to ftp to the site directly for your apps.

derek