It is possible that you have hardware failure. Any time someone tells me
that they had a system that was working fine, than it stops doing so for
no apparent reason, I suspect hardware failure (that is, if I am sure
that the *problem* developed without accidental or purposeful human
intervention) ;-)

Probable hardware failures:

1) Bad or weak memory chip(s).
2) Hard drive has developed bad spots and/or is shows signs of beginning
to fail.
3) Video card RAM memory failing or weak.
4) On-board cache failing or weak.

These are the most common possibilities when everything else is not it.
By this I mean you have not done something to change the system's
hardware configuration recently or have not done anything to it to cause
a change in the way it was before the problem occurred. There are other
possible reasons for your sudden inability to run an earlier
distribution, and then not be able to get beyond a certain point in the
installation of a newer one, but these are the most common ones under
the circumstances you mentioned. More information on your part would
give better probable caused and solutions...