et wrote:
<snip>

> really? my DVD wants DMA to work at all in winders
> cause it is much faaaaaaaaaaaaaster

<snip>

Yes, *really*. :-)
How about some real life examples?

Machine #1: XP Pro
2nd IDE Channel - Primary - Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163
                Secondary - Philips PCRW404 (32/16X/4X)

XP auto selects off for DVD drive
CD-RW drive auto selects DMA on and its works fine.

Machine #2: Win 98 SE
2nd IDE Channel - Primary - Philips PCRW2412/17 (40X/24X/12X)
                Secondary - "nada"

DMA off in Device Manager. Checking it off to be "on" not only doesn't
work, but also make the entire Secondary IDE Channel unusable.

Machine #3: Win 95
2nd IDE Channel - Primary - Goldstar GCD-R542B (4X)
                Secondary - "nada"
Win 95 refuses to allow the enabling of DMA for this CD-ROM drive.

Machine #4: Win 2000 Pro
2nd IDE Channel - Primary - Matshita UTDA310 (CD-RW drive in laptop -
hot-swap module)
Win 2K auto selects DMA off.

Machine #5: MDK 8.2
2nd IDE Channel - Primary - Acer CR6202A (6X/2X/2X)
I have yet to check what MDK is doing with it, however I know that under
every Windows version I have run it in, it either will fail under DMA or
not allowed access to its use.

These aren't even all of my working machines, but I think that you can
see where I am coming from. And, I haven't even thought about those of
my clients over the last 15 years...

Not all O/S's, hardware configurations or drives (regardless of type)
will  allow CD/DVR/DVDR/CDR/CDRW to use DMA. Not necessarily all newer
drives, either. Consequently, I just haven't thought about going there.
Tom's comment about its use in Linux intrigued me and made me wonder if
this particular OS can get drives to use it where Windows won't/can't.

I'd like to hear from anyone using the Philips-brand CD-RWs, or an older
Acer 6202A CD-RW drive with DMA access enabled under Linux. If Linux
will drive these drives reliably (very important) faster with DMA
enabled, I am all for it!

TIA,