On Tuesday October 1 2002 08:59 pm, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> On Monday 30 Sep 2002 10:44 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > (my ide burner which has scsi emulation and is dev/scd0 or hdd, dma
> > enabled)
> > tom# hdparm -t /dev/scd0
> > /dev/scd0 not supported by hdparm
> >  tom# hdparm -t /dev/hdd
> >
> > tom# '
> > /dev/hdd:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  read() hit EOF - device too small
>
> How these two times get two different output.
> Initially I didn't have /dev/hdd. Then I did symlink with scd0 as
> [root@localhost lvgandhi]# ln -s /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
> /dev/hdd still I get as follows.
> [root@localhost lvgandhi]# hdparm -v /dev/hdd
> /dev/hdd not supported by hdparm
> What to do?

    Nothin to do, as the mesg says, hdparm does not support scsi
devices, only ide. Evidently, as my 'hdparm -t /dev/hdd' error shows,
it won't work with ide devices that are scsi emulated either. Why or
how hdparm is able to set the burner to use dma... I don't understand
myself.  You didn't need the symlink, you might want to remove it. ide
burners are setup as both ide (/dev/hdd) and scsi (/dev/scd0) by the
append, hdd=ide-scsci

> Further how to know my cdrw HP9100c will be ok with dma?

   Trial'n error. Set it to dma enabled and see if there are any
problems.  There shouldn't be.  See 'info hdparm', it's one of the
better written man pages.