----- Original Message -----
From: "magnet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 1901 9:56 PM
Subject: [newbie] Keeping accurate system time

> Hi all,
> Digging thru Webmin I came across a page to enter the host/address of a time
> server. I have searched google and found only ONE UK public server on IP
> 199.165.76.11 but if I use it and request webmin to sync the time my system
> clock is reset to the year 1969.
> Now... have I lost the plot on this or am I simply doing something wrong?

An easier way than installing daemons and goodness what knows else is to install xntp
(you'll find a package via rpmfind) and then, as root, type

ntpdate ntp0.strath.ac.uk

That NTP server, and its University of Strathclyde sister at ntp1.strath.ac.uk, have
rarely let me down :)

There are other ones, such as ntpx.ncl.ac.uk (x=0,1,2 or 3 - University of Newcastle)
and ntp2x.mcc.ac.uk (x=a,b,c or d - University of Manchester). Unfortunately most of
the lists of NTP servers are out of date, but these ones all work.

Alastair