"Rob Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi
>
> I've got a few MPG, AVI (VFW & DivX) files from my windows drive that I'd
> like to be able to play in Linux, but I can't seem to find anything that
> will play them, the built in player (Xine is it?) won't play my files.
>
> I did try and download MPlayer for Linux (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/)
> but it was a lot of hassle, and didn't really want to work (complained that
> gcc was the wrong version, suggested I get an older one)
>
> Any suggestions?

In my limited experience, mplayer really is worth the effort. Someone
suggested the rpms, so if you can get those working, then great. If
not, compiling mplayer isn't that hard.

first, get the win32 codecs and install them where the docs say to --
/usr/lib/win32 iirc.

the command to configure is:

./configure --with-gui --disable-gcc-checking

this will give a warning, but ignore it (i think you can just hit
return). I don't know for sure if the compiler rant applies to the
mandrake version of gcc or not, but i've been using mplayer on 8.2
with no problems at all.

after configure, just do:

make

and as root:

make install

then, do not forget to move [source directory/]etc/codecs.conf to
.mplayer/ in your home directory (notice the . in front of the name)
-- you may have to make the directory if it doesn't exist.

--
Chris Spackman
Sat Oct  5 20:23:56 JST 2002

******** random quote ********
vacation, n.:
        A two-week binge of rest and relaxation so intense that
        it takes another 50 weeks of your restrained workaday
        life-style to recuperate.