The problem is that if they started with GPL code, it is not entirely their
work and they must honor the license of the code they chose to incorperate.
I don't know much about this situation, but if they distributed code in
binary form that included GPL'd code nested within their logic then they must
also provide the applicable source code to the recipients of the binaries.
They also cannot restrict what the recipients do with the source code other
than keeping it Free.  There is no clause in the GPL that allows exceptions
for beta tests.  They certainly don't have to provide source to the public,
but if they put out binaries with nested GPL code to beta testers, the beta
testers have a right to the affected code.  They also have a right to pass
the code on to others if they choose.

Obviously, I'm no lawyer.  But that's my understanding of the situation.