Brian Parish wrote:

>>>Thanks,
>>>One further thought,
>>>What's the betting I need to remake the mandrake boot floppy.
>>>In the past , in my experience, you change anything to do with the
>>>partition table/file system and the old boot floppy won't work.
>>>Any thoughts,
>>>
>>>John
>>>
>>>--
>>>John Richard Smith
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>

>Shouldn't be an issue here as you are not changing the numbering of any
>partitions.  If this is just a data partition, I can't see how the boot
>floppy config would be impacted.
>
>Brian

You are correct, all is done and dusted and went smoothly, I now have
a hda10 which is mounted nicely as /mnt/ext2-vol7, and the old boot floppy
still works. Just cor clarity's sake I include:-

[root@localhost root]# mkfs -v /dev/hda10
mke2fs 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
/dev/hda10 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

[root@localhost root]# umount /mnt/ntfs-vol7
[root@localhost root]# mkfs -v /dev/hda10
mke2fs 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
641280 inodes, 1281175 blocks
64058 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
40 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16032 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 37 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
[root@localhost root]#

and what is more I didn't even need to remount either,though I
had the new fstab in place before I did this.so it must of read
the fstab file as it did all this. Clever , hey,

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]