On Thursday 17 October 2002 12:12 am, windwalker wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 October 2002 13:00, Craig Williamson (ENZ) wrote:
> > Hi There,
> >
> >     Technically they can't.  Microsoft slapped on new requirements to
> > stop them doing that.
> >
> >     But.  Dell have found a way to get around it.  If you order their
> > n-series PC's it has a copy of FreeDOS (one floppy) included in the box.
> > The n-series PC's are not advertised, so you might have to ring them up.
> > The thing I'm quite confused about, is the fact that the other PC
> > companies haven't caught on.
> >
> >     Hope this helps.
> >
> > Craig
>
> Walmart is selling systems without OS on them... When i was there only
> thing for a OS on shelf was Linux in either SuSe,Mandrake or Redhat.
> Alot of places are starting to sell woth out a OS installed
> Mike

Mike:
My understanding is that the MS agreement with large OEM's is that (1) the
vendor pays a fee to MS based on every computer sold -- whether it has an OS
installed or not (sometimes this is called "the Microsoft tax", and (2) that
the vendor agrees not to install any other OS on _any_ systems. The vendor
has the choice between accepting this deal, or paying full price for Windows.
Since the "deal" price is somewhere in the $40 range, there really isn't much
of a choice. That's why Dell throws a copy of FreeDOS in the box --
technically, it isn't installed. Don't expect a price break, though -- Dell
still has to give MS its share.

I'm not sure how Wally World/Microtel get around this, but I expect that
Microtel doesn't sell PC's with windows installed, and so they don't need any
sort of deal with MS. Similarly, small system builders probably don't build
enough PC's to qualify for MS's OEM pricing, so it really doesn't matter to
them either. Or they're betting that MS won't audit them.

IANAL, but MS' OEM pricing policies strike me as being very dangerous (or
arrogant) behavior for a company that has just been convicted of monopolistic
practices and is still awaiting final settlement. But then, given Gates'
wealth, I guess lawyers are cheap, especially in view of the possible gains
if he prevails.
-- cmg