Thanks for your insight. What kind of horsepower do you have currently in the Win2k server? I am opting to stay away from any Internet related services since my Lynksys router seems to do a decent job of it and I don't want to bottleneck the file server. However, I like the added protection of a software firewall/proxy that tells me what's going on. I question whether my tired and old server could do that plus file serve.

Are you planning on using bind or any DNS? Are you going to statically address or let your linux server provide DHCP services?

Thanks

- netmaniac - wrote:

I'm not an expert on linux server but I have one win2k server that i'm wanting to change for a linux one. Because of this, I've been doing some researches about this subject. In my opinion, the basic server services are: the SAMBA to share files with windowze machines, maybe an NFS service to share files with linux machines, and other common services like apache (httpd), ftpd, and so on.

I'm going to change the win2k directory service to samba and put the squid (proxy server) to share my internet connection (adsl/256k). Until now, everithing seems to work fine.

Netmaniac

OK, boys and girls. I really would like your advice before I embark on this needed journey. I have been without my NT 4.0 server for a few weeks now and am getting really antsy without file sharing capabilities. Yes, I could have easily set that something temporary, but this has to be done on a permanent basis so I might as well wait until I am ready to redo the server.

Here's what I have in the network environment:

2- Win 98 SE
1- MDK 8.2
2- MDK 9.0
1- RH 6.1 (soon to be TurboLinux 3.0.1)
* and guest PCs of either Win 95 and up, or Linux
1- cable modem Internet access provider coming into a Linksys 4-port EtherFast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 providing DHCP, routing and firewall protection.
1- Kingston Workgroup Hub EtheRx 8-port hub (connects to the output of router and serves connectivity to all the PCs and server.
1- Intel NetportExpress 10/100 Print Server providing printing capabilities for all PCs (both Windows and Linux), statically addressed and accessed as an LPD resource. One laser and one color ink-jet printer.
1- Dedicated server (MDK 8.2 or 9.0?) that is solely a file sharing resource.

Specs for the server are meager, so this is another reason for asking advice. I do not want to load it up with unnecessary overhead:

Intel P233 MX, 256 MBs SDRAM, 15 GB IDE HD, Wimpy Jaton TV-67 Video w/ 1 MB RAM, Kingston KNE-120TX/20 NIC

What I would like to hear from anyone with some thoughts on what services are minimally needed to set up a solid file server. I am interested in MySQL at some point in the future, so it can be installed, but isn't as important as file sharing. No printers will be run off this server. It will not be doing IP forwarding, firewalling or proxying the Internet connection for the PCs (I really don't want to bog down the server with heavy downloads, especially with printing services running over TCP/IP on a slow network -- 10 Mbs throughput.) The Lynksys router has been managing DHCP quite nicely, so I am of a mind not to fix what isn't broken, but would like to know whether there is any advantage to having the server take that responsibility over when its only purpose is to be a file server. And of course, should I be running DNS services (bind)? (I never ran WINS or DNS on the NT 4.0 server) Will doing so conflict with the DHCP services of the hub and the Internet connection provider? I definitely do not want any Web serving. This is a closed system file sharing server.

So, I guess I would like just a list of services, maybe a brief idea why you think that I should run them, but I do not expect any actual instructions. I really am looking for direction. Once I have that, I am happy to muddle through the particulars and only ask for help when I need it. At this point in time, I need to ask everyone to work within the specs I have listed. There's no chance that I will be adding or upgrading hardware right now. And above all, remember that I am not experienced in Linux. :-)

Thanks so much for your opinions.