> Thanks for the reply, netmaniac. I would be interested in you opinion as
> to whether I would be able to successfully be able to access my server
> from the outside, being that I do not have a static IP from my cable
> modem service provider and that I do not want to open up my firewall too
> much. I wouldn't even consider dial-in to the server through the modem.

Look at this site for DNS domain forwarders for dynamic IP's.
This allows you to have connections to your home system without you needing to
get your IP address to connect.
Like www.yourdomain.xxx or www.yourdomain.hostDNS.xxx will work for you.

you're welcome!
i'm using the cjb.net service for almost one year and it seems to work fine. Just go to www.cjb.net and fill the form with your data. Then, select to forward the address you have chosen to your machine's IP. It works very well with dynamic IPs.

netmaniac

MSN Messenger: converse com os seus amigos online. http://messenger.msn.com.br